Search my Blogs and my website

Friday 27 July 2012

Buckwheat. Lovely, lovely Buckwheat...

I discovered buckwheat.....
...... years ago whilst having to live a gluten-free lifestyle for a while.  Buckwheat pancakes - ‘Blinis’ - remain one of my all-time favourite breakfasts, mmmm…..





  It’s not actually ‘wheat’ at all, but a member of the Polygonaceae family (the same as Rhubarb – another favourite – and Sorrel), genus Fagopyrum.  A pretty plant to grow  (I’ve got some in the garden at the mo) but an unbelievably versatile plant to boot.



  Buckwheat flour, buckwheat noodles, buckwheat beer, buckwheat leaf tea, buckwheat porridge, buckwheat honey (the bees love it)… in fact you can eat buckwheat on its own with anything you usually have rice etc with.



  Why all the fuss?  Well, personally, I love the smell & flavour.  Sort of aromatic like aniseed but with a mushroomy type thing going on.  Plus it's about the only grain / cereal type thing I can eat lots of without getting seriously upset stomach / loose bowels!  Me eat muesli?  Walking timebomb if ever there was one...



  Nutritionally and medically it’s even more interesting.  It contains the full suite of amino acids, huge quantities of magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese etc, omega 3 & 6 fats – a true ‘superfood’ if ever there was one.  There’s a more detailed breakdown HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment