Search my Blogs and my website

Saturday 7 April 2012

More DIY Fixery - Car Alternator this time

  This is something I wish I'd attempted years ago.....

   Bloody hell, the number of times I've had alternators reconditioned or even bought new ones!  Fixing them is such a doddle.

  It was displaying classic symptoms of diode failure - poor charging and always flat as a pancake in the morning even after a mains charge.  £60 for one from the local scrapyard, I dread to think how much a recon one would have been.

  Quick surf on the internet.....   Blimey, a complete new diode pack for 9 quid!  Had to be worth a bash.  Another couple of quid got me a replacement set of brushes to boot.

  Right, alternator off the car and dismantled.  The old diode pack is the cruddy looking thing at the top.


  New diode pack & brushes.


  After a little bit of soldering to attach the new pack, I quickly ran a meter across the windings to check they were intact.  All was good, so I slung it back together.


  Back in the car and, wahey, now charges like a new one!!  All for 12 quid!!  Get in!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment