Search my Blogs and my website

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Getting your head tested....

  MRI scan - wow!!


  Long story but I had one recently and it was fantastic fun.  Once you get over scaring yourself to death reading about the huge magnetic fields and accident reports where people have been maimed by ferrous foreign objects flying around the room, it’s actually quite a transcendental experience.  I particularly liked the laser crosshairs on your forehead, a bit like that title sequence on The Incredible Hulk when David Banner first irradiates himself.
  They slide you in and you try to relax, wondering just how loud it will be.  They tell you its loud and you have to wear ear defenders.  But, bugger me, its LOUD!  There are half a dozen or so different scans taken ranging from 30 secs to 3 minutes, each one with its own fantastic ‘techno’ soundtrack.  Your whole body vibrates - it's tremendous!!  The last one, an EPI scan , was my favourite – your whole body vibrates for 3 minutes.  I didn’t want it to stop!  There’s a short clip here.  Turn the volume up really loud!
  Bloody amazing bit of kit. 
The good news is that, hurrah, they did find a brain in there!!  I'm currently chasing the medical records people for the pictures and hope to post them soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment