Search my Blogs and my website

Sunday 23 September 2012

It’s THAT time of year again…..


The autumn equinoxe. Boooo…..

  Unfortunately, I’m one of those people who starts to get a bit gloomy at this time of year and it always seems such a long depressing slog to the spring. However, I’m trying a spot of ‘light therapy’ this winter, you know using one of those incredibly bright  natural daylight bulbs.  I’ll see how it goes.
  A spinoff from this is an idea for a large artificial light box to allow me to propagate and grow on garden plants during the depths of winter. More later….

A couple of good things about this time of year though:


  1. My birthday. Hurrah!!
  2. Loads and loads of free fruit and berries to be found everywhere!
  Spent a nice day bumbling about on our bikes yesterday collecting freebies and had a birthday picnic at our secret lakeside location locally, although it was a bit on the chilly side.


Got loads of stuff:

  • Blackberries
  • Crab apples
  • Plums – tons and tons!
  • Pears
  • Apples
  • Rose hips

  Plus rhubarb from the garden and other stuff to overwinter such as acorns, hawthorn berries and misc other cuttings for next year.

  Most of the fruit ends up as fruit wines, cider, beer, perry etc – I’m an ‘enthusiastic’ homebrewer (well I have to have something to cheer me up during the winter, don’t I?)
  Trouble is, our grapevine has had a pretty dire year and isn't going to give us any grapes at all, so no 'proper' red wine this xmas dinner.  Never mind....


  A major ambition for this winter however is to make Pernod / Ouzo at Chateau Cosmique – yes, we’ve even grown our own fennel in the garden to make it!  Can’t wait!!!

  Been a busy boy.  15 litres of Plum, 15 litres of Courgette & Rhubarb and 40 litres of misc 'hooch' which will form the basis of the Ouzo.  Those old veg oil containers don't half come in handy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment